"I do not like broccoli and I haven't liked it since I was a little kid and my mother made me eat it and I'm the President of the United States and I'm not going to eat any more broccoli."Well, Mr. President, perhaps your mom didn't know how to cook it right - that's why!
Don't forget that broccoli is one of the healthiest veggies out there.
"Broccoli is packed with anti-cancer antioxidants: vitamin C, beta carotene, lutein, glutathione and quercetin. It also tops all other foods for chromium content. Almost nobody gets enough chromium, a trace mineral that regulates insulin and helps to normalize blood sugar."
What can we do to give it a good taste? Hack it with a flavor enhancer: Garlic!
I learned the following recipe from a Chinese friend of mine and its easily done in less than 15 minutes.
INGREDIENTS: Bunch of broccoli, 1/3 cup butter (or olive oil), 3 cloves of garlic, water and salt.
1. Wash broccoli, cut into small florets and place them in a large pot.
2. Cover with boiling water until barely tender and still bright green for 5 to 7 minutes.
3. While broccoli is steaming, finely chop garlic and melt the butter in a pan over medium heat.
4. Drain broccoli and toss it in the pan along with garlic. Add salt according to taste.
5. Simmer over low heat until garlic is fragrant (about couple of minutes). Serve immediately.
So, what is your formula to deal with those dreaded veggies?